Saturday, November 16, 2013

Bokken #1


This is the first bokken I made. It turned out pretty much perfect. I couldn't really ask for a better practice sword.

I use the lamination method for my swords as opposed to cutting their shape with a bandsaw.
I've found it easier to place the proper curve, and its overall less time consuming. I base my curve on a shinken, so its a little more curved than a typical bokken, about 1/2" on center. This is how it starts out:


It then gets planed flat, and the bevels are put on the mune (backside) and a round-over edge on the ha (blade). This is what it looks like before the tsuka (handle) is added. The kissaki (tip) is also still incomplete.




A closeup of the tsuka. The finish is left a tad rougher to avoid the chances of the sword slipping out of the hands during practice.


Kissaki closeup. Some bokken don't use this, but the style I was trained in made use of it, so it was added.



Overall, its a great weapon. Balance is great, curve is great, and the weight is perfect. I'm really pleased with this piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment