Saturday, November 16, 2013

Pipe #4- Straight stem


This pipe brings me up to date. This is my latest, and it turned out pretty nice all things considered.
I really had a hard time with this one. I had some shortcomings with my tools and tried to take some shortcuts and ended up cracking the shank right off. I almost completely gave up several times. This is how it started, as all pipes do, a stem and a block of wood. This one had a 9mm filter attachment in it, which I removed to add a new tenon.


Here it is before idiot me cracked the shank off. The shank is a bit longer now as a result.



First problem- I drilled the bowl off center. So I had to up the size. The bowl is 7/8", its a really big pipe and holds a lot of tobacco. Second problem- shank cracked off. Twice actually. So, I added a mahogany shank to it with an additional briar ring. 



Here's the finished product. The finish turned out really nice and I like the color. 


No comments:

Post a Comment